Install Xonar DSX on Windows 2012 Server
I have a little home server running in my livingroom, and I recently installed Windows 2012 Server on it. Because it’s always on I figured I could use it as a Airtunes receiver too. I installed shairport4w as a service and now it runs great!
However, I wanted to try a better soundcard for it, so the audio quality would be even better. Therefor I bought a Xonar DSX.
Unfortunately this soundcard wouldn’t install when I ran the windows 8 drivers. It gives a message that the OS is not supported. Strange, since it’s the same as Windows 8. Probably a case of a little too strict checking.
Anyway, solution to install Xonar windows 8 drivers on windows 2012:
- Download Windows 8 driver for your Xonar card.
- Extract the zip file.
- Open the win8 dir (do not run setup in the dir above it)
- Edit the file CmSetx.dll with notepad. (it’s not a binary file, just a txt file)
- Change the line with SupportOS to “SupportOS=donotcare”
- Save and run the setup in the same folder.
- It will now install and work ok!
This will probably also work with DGX, DG, DS, and other Asus Xonar cards.